Saturday 16 July 2016

Omelette

Dear Friends,

Today I share with you my directions for a pretty darn good omelette, if I do say so myself. However, I did eat it on a very emotional morning (today), that was marked by lots of tears and confusion. I am happy to say that there is a little bit of clarity coming on now, and less sadness. But I have reminded myself that this is a blog and not a diary, so that is all I will say; because this post is all about the omelette.
My suggestion for a perfect omelette is: you need a non stick pan. A real one. Otherwise I am at the level where I cannot guarantee that it will not stick.
Also, if you are any kind of serious home cook, invest in a good non stick pan. It will change your life.
Alright that is all I need to say I think.
Directions:
Heat 8 or 10 inch non stick skillet.
Dice finely: 1/4 cup each white onion and any color bell pepper
Add 1 tblsp butter to skillet
Allow to melt
Add vegetables and brown them. Give them a good dose of salt and pepper.
Once the veggies have a good sear, turn heat to medium-low and cook them until soft.

While veggies cook, whisk 3 eggs together in a bowl with a fork till just combined.
Grate a few tblsps of good cheddar cheese, or any cheese you wish that melts well.

Once veggies are soft, remove from pan.
Turn heat to lowest setting.
Add another tblsp of butter to the pan.
Pour in the eggs without stirring at all.
Make a couple of lines in the eggs with a rubber spatula, and tilt pan to allow raw egg to fill the hole.
Repeat this step 2 times more, until eggs are almost entirely cooked.
Sprinkle uncooked side with a little salt and pepper
Using a long spatula, lift the omelette and carefully flip over. It does not have to be perfect, just make sure there is enough surface area to fold the omelette in half.
Immediately remove from heat.

Layer cooked veggies over half of the egg surface area. Sprinkle with 3/4 of your grated cheese.
Fold the other half of the omelette over the veggies and cheese with a spatula.
Sprinkle top of omelette with remaining cheese.

Eh, Voila!! Serve immediately, preferably with toast and avocados. :)

If anyone is reading this and does make this recipe, please comment and tell me how it goes, and how bad or good my directions are!!


No comments:

Post a Comment