Sunday 19 June 2016

Father's Day

Dear Dad,

        I thank God that the older I get, the more I love, understand and appreciate you. Thanks to you, our family grows in unity, strength and love every year. It is by your example that I am driven to love God more, not only because he gave me such an amazing father, but because every day I see how much you love Him. It really is a minor miracle that you have survived raising five strong-minded and opinionated girls without bashing a couple of our heads in, or maybe your own, though I sense that maybe you have contemplated this before. You surprise me every day with your kindness, probably because this is one of your traits I have yet to notice in myself.
      But what I love the most about you Dad, is how much you love Mom. She knows what I mean. Its the little gestures that make all the difference, like how you bring her coffee every morning no matter what, or how you will go get her floss no matter how comfy you are. Every morning I hear you creaking down those steps, I have to smile, because I am so happy to have you for my Dad.
      You teach bratty children all day and then come home and work on your land. You built this house and cultivated this property so that your kids could grow up happy and healthy. You gave me the most important thing in my life besides Catholicism: music.
      There is no proper way to thank you. For everything. But there is one sure way: to see you in Heaven. And I am sure I speak for all of us kids when I say that that is what I intend to do. Otherwise all your sacrifices are worthless. And that is the most heartbreaking thought of all.
      I almost wish all the kids in the world could have you as a dad, but then I would have to share you, and it is hard enough with the six of us already.
       I love you Dad. Thanks for taking care of Mom and us. Thanks for never giving up, no matter what. All I can do is pray for all of the blessings God can spare to be saved for you guys. I hope your day is perfect, and that you grow happier every moment. I love you both so much more than I have every shown you, and I am going to start changing that right now.

Sophie Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment